Electrical and electronics, palm oil, oil and gas, tourism, high-value agriculture, green technology, financial services and information technology are the eight key sectors identified as the potential sector to thrive Malaysia into high-income economy .
- E&E - focus in research and development and design through innovation.
- Palm oil - strengthening research initiatives to meet market demand, such as healthy fats and oils, biofuel from biomass, cosmetics and bio-degradable plastics.
- Oil & Gas sector - Petronas have position it self as a strong brand internationally thus help to support industry along their supply chain by sharing its know-how, partnering on international bids and offering support on a truly global scale.
- Potential to take the leadership role in green technology and develop a niche in high value green industries and services.
- Financial services industry - a world leader in Islamic finance, capital market and takaful - thus had the potential to become a hub for integrated Islamic financial services.