Monday, January 18, 2010
Macaroni and Cheese
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
• 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
• 1 tbsp. (15 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
• 4 cups (1 L) milk
• 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) elbow (or other smallish) macaroni
• 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
• black pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour and salt. Then pour in the milk and the macaroni all at once. Increase the heat slightly and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often to keep the macaroni from clumping together and sticking to the bottom. When it reaches a boil, immediately reduce the heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the macaroni is tender.
3. Remove saucepan from heat, add grated cheese and stir until it melts smoothly into the sauce. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
Servings: 4 or 5